6. Ryan and Rachel didn’t get along. Yup, despite Noah and Allie’s intense chemistry on screen, Ryan and Rachel couldn’t stand each other behind the scenes. They fought so much that Ryan actually asked for another woman to come and run lines with him during breaks, and Nick finally had to hold an intervention. “We went into a room with a producer; they started screaming and yelling at each other. I walked out. [Then] everybody came out like, ‘All right let’s do this.’ And it got better after that,” Nick said. Well, considering they went on to date for two years, things clearly did get better.
7. Ryan Gosling improvised that iconic, passionate line at the end of the movie. You know when Noah confronts Allie at the end of the movie and forces her to come to terms with what she really wants, shouting, “What do you want! What do you want?” Ryan was so committed to his character, he came up with that gem on the spot. Because he’s that good.
8. James Marsden, who played Allie’s fiancee Lon Hammond, thought the movie was going to be bad. “I thought The Notebook was going to be a schmaltzy Movie of the Week type thing,” James admitted. Maybe he was just jealous Allie ended up with Noah or something. *shrug*
9. The Notebook is Ryan Gosling’s most successful film. Despite the fact that the movie came out back in 2005 and Ryan’s gone on to star in major films like Drive and Crazy, Stupid, Love with Emma Stone, as of 2012, his most financially successful film is still The Notebook, having made $105 million, when adjusted for inflation.
10. Ryan Gosling built the table in the dinner scene. Ryan decided to go method for his role as Noah and spent two months doing Noah things, like living in Charleston, South Carolina and building furniture. It was nice the set designer featured some of his hard work in the film.
11. Rachel McAdams had less than a day to prepare for her audition. She received her script for the movie the night before her audition when she happened to be at another movie’s premiere! That only makes the fact that she beat out the likes of Reese Witherspoon and Jessica Biel with this flawless audition even MORE astounding.