We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us their best clothing hacks and tricks. Here are some of the most helpful answers.
1. Stretch out your flats in five minutes with thick socks and a hairdryer.
—Arielle Calderon, Facebook
You can watch the video tutorial here.
2. Remove pen stains from your clothing with hairspray.
3. Pin your bra straps to the inside of your shirt with a mini safety pin to hide them or keep them from slipping off of your shoulder.
4. Put your jeans in the freezer overnight to get rid of any strong, lingering odors.
“It’s especially helpful since they say you shouldn’t wash your jeans after every wear.” —erinberson
5. Get rid of wrinkles by hanging your clothes in the bathroom while you’re taking a hot shower.
“Definitely saves you some time and annoying ironing.” —katharusty
6. If you don’t wear something within two weeks of buying it (unless it’s for a special occasion), return it.
“Chances are, if you’re not excited enough to wear it right after you buy it, it’s just going to collect dust in your closet.” —colleenhan
7. Use a pair of old tights or a dryer sheet to remove deodorant stains from your shirts.
“It works perfectly and so much better than paying for one of those sponges.” —daniellestevenss
8. When you add something new to your closet, take something out to donate or throw away.
“Great if you have a way-too-full closet like me.” —PHM8
9. When packing or putting away clothes in drawers, roll them instead of folding them. It saves space and avoids wrinkles.
10. And when traveling, organize outfits or accessories by day in resealable plastic bags.
—Brett Vergara, Facebook
11. In the event you need to pull something out of the hamper to wear again, put vodka in a spray bottle and spray it down.
“It’ll get rid of any odor and the vodka smell will also dissipate.” —rachaelgreen02
12. To prevent shrinkage and less damage to good clothes, always dry on low heat.
13. Put hot glue or small strips of clear traction tape on each side of your hangers to prevent clothes from falling off.
14. Color coordinate your closet so you can pair clothes quicker.
“Helps when you’re not a morning person.” —musicaddict45
15. Use a thick hair elastic to expand the waistband of your jeans.
“Loop it through the button hole then around the button. Even if your jeans fit well, this gives the waist a little stretch so they’re more comfortable.” —eawynn8908
16. If you have a small run in your stockings/tights, paint clear nail polish over the hole to prevent them from ripping further.
“Works every time!” —carehwinks
17. Use a hair straightener to eliminate wrinkles on collars and hems of clothing.
18. Put your clothes in your closet with the hangers reversed. As you pull out clothes, reverse the hanger back. Donate the clothes you didn’t use every six months or every year.
—Lise Juhl Jepsen, Facebook
19. Use a lingerie bag for washing underwear and bras.
“It saves so much time and you’ll never have to detangle a bra strap or thong from your jeans again.” —Taylor Nicole Anderson, Facebook
20. Pick out your entire outfit and put it on a hanger the night before.
“That way you are prepared, and don’t waste precious morning minutes deciding between a dress or trousers, or desperately searching for a pair of black socks.” —lisejuhlj
21. Neatly tuck in your jeans into boots with a simple folding trick.
—Spencer Althouse, Facebook
22. Remove red wine stains with white wine or vinegar.
—Anna Kopsky, Facebook
23. And use corn starch or baking soda to get grease stains off your clothes. (Also, this chart is super nifty for all stains!)
“Let it sit for a day or two, brush off the excess, and then throw it in the washing machine.” —Kat Bonito, Facebook
Want to be featured in similar BuzzFeed posts? Follow the BuzzFeed Community on Twitter and Facebook!