Most adults don’t even know how to properly perform the Heimlich maneuver, which is why everyone was stunned when one 11-year-old boy used the skill to save a classmate.
A few years ago, one Pennsylvania family’s beloved French Bulldog choked on a piece of rawhide. Thankfully, the dog was saved, but it got mom Caitlin Puccio, who works as a nurse, thinking about how important it is to know how to do the Heimlich maneuver.
“It’s really, really important for kids to know how to do the Heimlich maneuver,” Puccio said. “They’re the first line of defense.” So Puccio immediately taught her now 11-year-old son Ayden how to save their dog or anyone else who might be choking.”We practiced on the dog, talked about how to do it on a human and then I taught him how to do it on himself,” she said.
Amazingly, Ayden still remembers the life-saving skill years later, so when a classmate started choking, he knew exactly what to do. “I was really scared when it happened, and I knew I had to calm down and think about what I could do,” he said. Ayden immediately jumped to action and performed the Heimlich on the girl, and saved the girl’s life.
Watch the video below to see how this young boy reacted when a classmate started choking.
Do you know what to do if someone starts choking? Let us know what you think in the comments below and please SHARE this wth friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: 6ABC]
Connect with us