Cats are notorious for their grooming habits, however, one poor cat nearly died after he desperately tried to clean himself after a cruel stranger covered him in motor oil.
Earlier this month, a stray cat was found and rushed to the Idaho Animal Shelter since the normally orange tabby was almost black after being doused in thick motor oil. “This beautiful and friendly 7-year-old cat has been horribly mistreated by humans,” Idaho Falls Animal Shelter wrote in a post to Facebook. “Slick was doused in motor oil before he ended up in our care. He was taken to the vet and had to be immediately sedated so that he could be shaved and bathed.”
Before being rescued, Slick tried desperately to clean himself off, but in the process, ended up ingesting the toxic oil. “Unfortunately, that’s not the worst of it. Slick has been trying desperately to cleanse himself and he has ingested a large amount of motor oil in the process. He is currently hooked up to IV fluids to try to flush his body of the oil before there is irreparable damage done to his kidneys.”
“There is no reason anyone should have done this,” Idaho Falls Animal Services Manager Irene Brown said. “I don’t care what the situation is – we are here to help and could have picked up the animal. It’s too bad somebody decided to take their anger out on Slick.”
Thankfully Slick is doing much better after the oil in his system was flushed out. He’s expected to make a full recovery with little to no kidney damage, and has even found a loving forever home. “Slick is in very good hands, now, and we are looking forward to seeing how he flourishes in this wonderful home!!” the shelter said in an update.
Can you believe someone could do this to a helpless animal? Let us know what you think in the comments below and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: Facebook/Idaho Falls Animal Shelter]