Dirty clothes pile up faster than you can wash them when you live with small children, which is why doing the laundry is a daily chore for parents.
And while it’s not the most enjoyable chore, doing laundry isn’t typically dangerous. However, for one Australian mom, doing laundry nearly cost her her life. 22-year-old mother-of-two Haylee Rouget had been doing the laundry like she did every other day, but this time, when she touched the metal tub inside the machine, she was electrocuted and she was killed instantly.
“They found me against the window sill, slouched over the trough,” Haylee said. “Trent had to actually pick me up and throw me across the laundry to be able to do CPR on me.” Haylee had already been dead for several minutes by the time her husband found her, but he thankfully managed to revive her. “I couldn’t feel a heartbeat, I tried looking for a pulse but couldn’t find a pulse, she wasn’t breathing,” Trent said about the terrifying moments after his wife was electrocuted by the damaged power cord.
Haylee was rushed to the hospital and was in a coma for six days and then spent three more weeks at the hospital before being sent home to finish recovering. As hard as that time was, the couple knows how lucky they were. Now, Haylee is sharing her story to warn others and is urging them to check and make sure their home has a safety switch, which would have prevented the accident completely. “We just want people to understand that this was totally avoidable,” said Haylee.
Did you know how important safety switches are? Let us know what you think in the comments below and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: 7 News]