A mother and father from the U.K. always thought hide and seek was a perfectly safe game for their three children to play together.
However, dad Aaron Duffy and his wife learned the hard way that it could be extremely dangerous when their 5-year-old son named Riley ended up in the hospital covered in bruises, burns, and scrapes after picking the wrong place to hide from his sisters.
When it was Riley’s turn to hide, he thought the family’s dryer would be the perfect place to hide. However, the family’s dryer automatically turns on when the door is closed, so after climbing inside and pulling the door shut, he became trapped. Luckily, however, the family dog, Teddy, was there to save the day.
“Our family dog alerted my wife that something was up,” said Duffy, who couldn’t understand why Teddy wouldn’t stop barking. “When she went into the utility room, Riley was in the tumble-dryer with his iPad, going round and round – he’d obviously closed himself in.”
“I didn’t think it was possible to actually close the dryer door from inside … Riley’s got Down’s syndrome, you see, so he’s not aware of the dangers. To him, it’s probably just a nice wee hidey-hole,” said Duffy, who called an ambulance and got Riley in a cool shower while they waited. Riley was left with burns and bruises all over his body, however, the family is so grateful that their dog, who has previously alerted them to a phone charger that caught fire, was there to save the day once again.
Can you believe how lucky this family is to have this incredible dog? Let us know what you think in the comments below, and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: The Gedge-Duffy family]