Many cautious parents are terrified of letting their small child around a dog unsupervised, but one Australian dog has proven that dogs can be invaluable companions for kids after he risked his life to protect a 2-year-old little girl.
Last week, a Victoria-based family let their daughter and their 4-year-old Boxer named Mack outside in the backyard to play. Parents Leigh and Jo Shaw thought their daughter Carmen would be perfectly safe in their backyard, however, they didn’t realize a venomous tiger snake was lurking in the grass just beside the toddler.
Thankfully, Mack sensed the danger and ran at the snake before it could bite his best friend, but while trying to kill it, the snake managed to bite him multiple times. “This has broken our lil’ family’s hearts and many tears are being shed as he has touched a lot of people’s hearts as he is so friendly and playful to all,” the family said about Mack, who had kidney damage from the venom and had to be ventilated.
“He is our world and a massive part of our family. Four years ago we got Mack as a pup when we lost our twins and he has been our rock ever since. He has a bond unbreakable with both our children ages 2 1/2 and even our 3-month-old,” said the family that is now facing $6,000 medical bills. “We can’t lose him to this.”
In order to raise enough money to save their selfless pet, the family created a GoFundMe page, and within six days, they have already exceeded their goal. Thanks to treatment, Mack is starting to show signs of improvement. “(Mack) is still very weak and is wagging his tail again but even that is exhausting for him at the moment. It’s going to be a long road to full recovery.”
Can you believe this dog was willing to die to save the family’s two-year-old? Let us know what you think in the comments below, and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: GoFundMe/ The Shaw Family]