Kolkota: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday vowed to keep side all the ideological differences between her Trinamool Congress and arch rival CPM in order to save the country from ‘draconian’ decisions.
Referring to the Centre’s decision to demonetise Rs 500/1000 notes, she said, “We may have ideological differences with CPI-M but we are ready to work with it, Congress, SP, BSP to save the country.”
Terming it a dangerous move, she demanded the government to immediately withdraw the ‘draconian’ decision to demonetise the currency notes.
“I personally visited several banks today to listen to tales of hardship of common people. More than two lakh ATMs are closed, money is not available; people are facing lot of problems,” the Indian Express quoted her as saying.
She accused the government of being anti-poor and said that this ‘black decision’ has profited only a few money launderers.
“Only 1 % people hold black money; why are the other 99% being harassed for this,” Banerjee said at a press conference.
“A sudden midnight decision was taken. But few people in the ruling party knew about it,” the Express quoted her as saying.
He party has called for a discussion on the issue in Rajya Sabha when it ofens for the winter session on November 16. The party also reportedly plans to bring an adjournment motion in the house on the same day.