1. Mike Pence attended a Broadway performance of Hamilton Friday night, and was met with widespread boos from the audience. Afterwards, a member of the cast spoke directly to Pence from the stage.
“We, sir – we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us,” said actor Brandon Victor Dixon, who plays Aaron Burr.
“We truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us,” Dixon said. “This is one American story told by a diverse group of men and women of different colors, creeds, and orientations.”
The audience broke into applause following the speech.
2. On Saturday morning, Donald Trump responded on Twitter, saying the vice president-elect was “harassed” by the cast of Hamilton and demanding an apology:
3. Dixon, who gave the speech, responded to Trump, saying “conversation is not harassment,” and expressed appreciation that Pence listened.
4. Lin-Manuel Miranda, the show’s creator and original star, said he was proud of Dixon and the cast “for leading with love.”
He also said he was “proud to remind you that ALL are welcome at the theater.”
5. And Javier Muñoz, the show’s current lead, retweeted a fan’s tweet to Pence that Muñoz is a “proud, gay, HIV+ man.”